You are here : Home > About Us

About Brynteg Bed & Breakfast

'Brynteg' means 'fair' or 'pleasant hill' and refers to Gwastedyn, the hill at the rear of the house, known locally as 'The Peak'. The cairn on the top was erected in 1977 to commemorate the Queen's Silver Jubilee. This replaced an original put up in the 1880s to mark the wedding of a popular local doctor. The small park in front of the house is a memorial garden to a well respected local music teacher.

The house was built in 1902 at a time when Rhayader was expanding due to the construction of the Elan Valley Reservoirs by Birmingham Corporation.

From 1902 until 1923 a succession of Medical Officers at Rhayader Workhouse (now the Brynafon Hotel) lived in the house and used our kitchen as a surgery and our larder, which has now been demolished, as a dispensary. We still have Dr. Haines' brass plaque displayed on the kitchen door.

After 1923 a series of local people lived here and in 1977 Barbara and Bryan Lawrence, our predecessors, bought the house and converted it into a guesthouse.

We came to Rhayader in August 2007 from Bristol where we had a pharmacy for 29 years.

We aim to provide high quality accommodation and give good value for money.

We use local produce in our breakfasts where possible: Our sausages and bacon are from Rhayader's award winning butcher. Eggs are collected each day from the 6 hens we keep at the bottom of our garden. We grow tomatoes and use them when in season. We also make our own jam using fruit from the garden and berries from the Elan Valley.

Brynteg Bed & Breakfast
Brynteg,
East Street,
Rhayader,
Powys,
LD6 5EA

Telephone01597 810052

Wales Cymru 3 Star Bed & Breakfast Cyclists Welcome Walkers Welcome